Volunteer Coding for Non Profits - Opportunity Hack
Connect, Build, and Empower organizations to change lives across the world.
Our 5th annual Opportunity Hack will open at 8:00 a.m. on October 19th.
At Opportunity Hack, you can network, share ideas and build solutions that enable impact and social innovation! Join a team that will hack solutions for any of the problem statements listed by our partnering non-profits!
Check in will be from 8:00 until 9:00. Please note that ONLY THE FIRST 200 will be allowed to enter the door.
At 9:00 we'll have our opening keynote speaker.
Then the fun begins! Our non-profits will all have an opportunity to pitch their ideas to all the participants. We'll be moving this along quickly so that we can move into team building. You can bring a whole team, but if you don't, we're pretty good at facilitating team formation. This is the part of the program that people tend to be the most nervous about, but it all works out. We've done it successfully a number of times and we'll make sure you get hooked up.
9:30 a.m. Non-profits pitch their problem statements to hackers.
11:00 a.m. It's time to get your Hack On! You have from now until 3:00 p.m. on Sunday! We're providing meals and snacks and support around the clock.
3:00 p.m. on Sunday it's time to let the keyboard rest. You'll want to have your prototype and presentation ready for a three minute presentation to the judges with some Q&A. There will be a brief intermission for scoring and then the top teams will be chosen and accolades will flow! This will mark the end of the event and the beginning of the celebration, where we will also provide appropriate supplies.
- 08:00AM: Doors open for check-in
- 08:10AM: Breakfast
- 09:00AM: Opening ceremony
- 09:30AM: Non-profits pitch their problems to hackers
- 10:30AM: Team formation
- 11:00AM: The Hackathon begins!
- Noon: Lunch is served
- 02:00PM: Submit team details
- 06:00PM: Dinner is served
- HACK THROUGH THE NIGHT
- Midnight: Pizza served
- 08:00AM:Breakfast is served & Subject matter experts available (3 hours)
- Noon: Lunch is served / I can’t think straight but this tastes awesome!
- 02:00PM: Code checked into GitHub
- 02:45PM: Presentations submitted on DevPost
- 03:00PM: Hackathon ends
- 03:15PM: Judging - Round 1 (science fair style)
- 04:30PM: Judging - Round 2 (top projects present to crowd)
- 05:00PM: Winners are announced / Prizathon!
- 05:30PM: You’ve survived… let’s celebrate!
To be determined
To be determined
To be determined
No money is ever exchanged between PayPal and any other sponsor. The sponsor has complete control of their award to the winners. The following items can be combined together to suit the sponsor.
- Participating enterprise provides an award for the participant(s). A minimum of one winning team of 3-5 team members. Can be cash or non-cash.
- Provide a senior leader to participate on Sunday afternoon for the judging and award distribution.
- Co-branding of the event with company logos, collaboration in organizing the event, and NPO selection.
- Participating enterprise provides IT professional staff to mentor the participants in delivering the technical solutions during the 36 hour event. Mentors with various backgrounds of: software engineering, marketing, design, finance, legal, product management, project management are encouraged to participate.
- Recruiting and SWAG distribution is permitted in a designated area during the hackathon.
How to enter
- Join Opportunity Hack Arizona on DevPost
- Come to the event with a team or we will help you build a team of like minded folks.